Saturday, October 27, 2012

pre-freeze harvest

It is going to freeze tonight.  That makes me sad for many reasons...

1. It is the beginning of a cold and gloomy five months.
2. I have to bundle two boys and shove them into car seats whenever we leave the house.
3. My plants outside all die or go dormant.

Today I picked the rest of my flowers and harvested some brussel sprouts.
In case you don't know how brussel sprouts grow, here are pics.

















The flowers weren't too shabby either.

Yes!  That is a George Washington vase!  We are very patriotic!



 herbs and mums.                                                              I hope these Canna Lillies bloom.


We ate these sprouts and they were good.  Here is a really simple roasted brussel sprout recipe:

cut sprouts in half
drizzle with olive oil until coated
sprinkle with salt and pepper (you can also add other herbs-I added rosemary)
 toss and spread out on a baking sheet
bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until desired crispness
Enjoy!



                           
In the spirit of Thankfulness, I am going to list three good things about the cold weather:
1. It includes holidays, vacation, family, one kids birthday, and lots of indoor snuggling.
2. I like the shift in wardrobe and cuisine.  More sweaters and soup.
3. I don't have to water my yard everyday.  :)

There it is.  Winter/Cold weather isn't too bad!






No comments:

Post a Comment